Bar One Chocolate Cake Recipe is the best cake recipe for freezing. It is moist, rich, and decadent without being overly sweet. I found this recipe a few years ago and have been making it often because it makes tremendous trifles, cupcakes, and topping for ice cream, with or without a little alcohol for spiked chocolate cake goodness!
The recipe is a delicious chocolate cake recipe perfect for people who want to put it into the freezer. It is quick, easy, and made with simple ingredients, which will make it a perfect cake for any time.
This cake is different from many cake recipes as the crust is made from heavy cream, not butter. This makes it easy to make, and its flavor can be easily replicated when making another chocolate cake. The instructions on the package will show you how to do this.
You can enjoy a heavenly chocolate taste that will satisfy your sweet tooth with just three ingredients, but it doesn’t have to be eaten for breakfast or dessert. It could be used for parties and other gatherings where you want a chocolate taste.
How To Make Bar One Chocolate Cake Recipe?
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25-35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 pkg. chocolate cake mix
- 1 (8oz) package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 3 large eggs beaten in a large bowl (use 2 egg whites for silver dollar pancakes)
- 4 tablespoons oil (vegetable or canola will work, but use a neutral-tasting oil like canola)
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons melted Cocoa Chocolate Coconut Butter
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 9 x 13 baking pans by spraying with cooking spray.
Step 2: In the mixing bowl, combine cake mix and sour cream. Mix thoroughly. Add in eggs, oil, and 4tbsp cocoa powder mix until combined with no streaks.
Pour into the prepared baking pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (for the last 5 minutes of baking, I cover mine with foil). Let cool completely.
Step 3: While the cake is baking, make the frosting by combining the melted Cocoa Chocolate Coconut Butter with 4tbsp of Cocoa Powder in a medium bowl. Let this sit for 2 minutes to thicken. Then add in cream cheese, 1 cup sour cream, or Greek Yogurt and mix until combined.
I fill my piping bag with this mixture and frost it onto the cake as we like it (I typically will pipe on each layer or skewer first, then frost on top).
Step 4: You may keep the cake in the freezer following my tips on freezing entrees. Yes, I have done this, with good results!
Tips & Tricks: I cannot believe how moist it is without butter! The recipe doesn’t call for any butter or oil to be used, so you’ll want to leave out those ingredients.
Nutrition Facts Of Bar One Chocolate Cake Recipe
Best 5 Freezing Ideas For Bar One Chocolate Cake Recipe
1. Wrap in foil and store in the freezer (leave out the toothpick test)
2. Keeps well in the fridge for 3-4 days and freezes well.
3. Freeze in sandwich sizes, wrap with plastic wrap, then foil, then freeze.
4. Keeps well in the fridge for 3-7 days and freezes well.
5. Freeze individual portions or smaller portions like cupcakes and trifles or pies (slice into small wedges before freezing).
Tips & Tricks To Make Delicious Desserts:
1. Keep a few extra cocoa powder packets in your freezer and add 1tbsp cocoa powder to the cake mix when you prep it. It adds extra chocolatey goodness to the cake!
2. Bake individual portions or small servings (12-2″ cubes), wrap in plastic wrap and then foil before freezing. Feel free to top with more Cocoa Butter (which melts well) and Cocoa Powder, or drizzle with honey or agave nectar.
3. Add a few tablespoons of Orange Juice, Apple Juice, White Grape Juice, and any mix-ins like Peppermint Extract or rum extract to the cake batter before baking.
4. Add some espresso powder to the frosting and make it a latte frosting!
5. If you want your cake moister, consider adding a cup of instant vanilla pudding powder (pudding in a box) and some extra sour cream or Greek Yogurt.
6. Add some orange juice, lemon/lime juice, or apple juice to the frosting and make it tangier!
7. Add 1-2 tablespoons of peppermint extract to the cake batter before baking for a peppermint chocolate cake!
8. Top with a sprinkling of powdered sugar, cocoa powder, or Chocolate Chips when serving!
Is It Suitable For Pregnant Women?
Yes, Bar One Chocolate Cake Recipe is suitable for pregnant women. This is safe during pregnancy. You may eat Bar One Chocolate Cake Recipe for the second or third trimester.
Is It Suitable For Kids?
No, kids probably won’t like it (too sweet), but you can serve it as a light dessert with some milk or fruit juice. If your kids like chocolate cake, they might like this recipe.
Is It Good For Diabetic Patients?
Yes, Bar One Chocolate Cake Recipe is good for people with diabetes. Chocolate cake recipes keep the blood sugar level in control due to the low glycemic index of cocoa powder and brown sugar.
Is It Good For Heart Patients?
Yes, Bar One Chocolate Cake Recipe is good for heart patients. Chocolate, which has been shown to help regulate blood pressure and heart rate, makes up a major part of this easy-to-make dessert. Besides being good for the heart, this cake is also low in fat and sugar.
The ingredients are all-natural and high quality, which means many people will enjoy Bar One Chocolate Cake Recipe without any negative health side effects.
Is It Suitable For Breastfeeding Women?
Yes, Bar One Chocolate Cake Recipe is suitable for breastfeeding women. It is especially good for a mid-afternoon or late-night snack for nursing mothers and children. It is easy to digest and an instant energy booster.
Is It Suitable For Weight Control?
You can’t control the number of calories by freezing it, but low-fat chocolate cake is a good choice among many. And if you’re watching your weight while pregnant, don’t eat dairy products regularly.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
Yes, you can freeze this recipe. Wrap it well in plastic wrap, then foil, and place in freezer bags. Freeze for up to 6 months. Just choose a lighter recipe or add some extra fat before you freeze it.
Bar One Chocolate Cake recipe will melt in your mouth from the first bite to the last! It is rich, fudge-like, and has a huge flavor of chocolate and coconut.
I love that this cake is simple to make and can be customized infinitely. To have an absolute chocolate lover’s delight, I recommend adding Cocoa Coconut Butter (or the melted version) or Cocoa Powder to the frosting. There are so many options to customize this recipe and make it into a “one-of-a-kind” cake suitable for many occasions. Happy baking!