Cathedral Christmas Cake Recipe is the most popular Christmas cake recipe in the U.S. It is a European-style spice cake rising in popularity for decades. The original recipe calls for Erythritol and Corn Syrup, which are relatively new ingredients to the U.S food industry.
For those who do not want to use these ingredients, there are alternative recipes you can use, which will still result in a dessert that is very similar in taste and texture to the original recipe.
In the 1920s, this cake started making its way into homes across the U.S., becoming popular at holiday time and throughout the summer months with picnics and potluck parties.
What Is A Cathedral Christmas Cake Recipe?
Cathedral Christmas Cake Recipe is a traditional cake on the South Island of New Zealand. It is a dense, rich fruitcake that has been an annual gift under Christmas trees since the early 1900s. To make this delicious treasure, you need to rely on your freezer to keep it fresh for two months!
How To Make Cathedral Christmas Cake Recipe?
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs beaten
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt (optional but recommended)
- 2 cups sifted flour (sifted with a sifter on a large sieve to remove lumps)
- 1 cup raisins or currants (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped candied peel or 1/2 cup crystallized ginger (chopped)
- 1 1/2 tsp. almond essence
- 1 1/2 cups chopped mixed dried fruit
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 2: Spray one 9-inch round cake pan with a non-stick spray.
Step 3: Cream together butter, sugar, and eggs until fluffy.
Step 4: Mix baking soda, salt, flour, and raisins or currants.
Step 5: Add the candied peel and almond essence, and mix well.
Step 6: Add in dried fruit, and stir to combine.
Step 6: Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
Step 7: Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Step 8: Cool for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
Step 9: Cool completely before serving or icing.
Step 10. Enjoy!
Tip 1: If you do not have raisins or currants, leave these out and add chopped nuts or candied peel instead.
Tip 2: If you prefer store-bought icing, you can use any kind except for royal icing.
Tip 3: If you want to decorate your Cathedral Christmas Cake Recipe with a marzipan figurine, this can be done once the cake is iced.
Tip 4: To make an angel, knead the marzipan until soft. Roll it into tiny balls and flatten them into discs. Use a knife or a small oval cutter to cut wings out of the marzipan.
Tip 5: To make a bell for the horns, cut off a small piece of parchment paper. Knead it gently to form a ball. Roll the marzipan out thinly, and then roll it in powdered sugar to give it that bat-like appearance.
Nutrition Facts Of Cathedral Christmas Cake Recipe
Health Benefits Of Cathedral Christmas Cake Recipe
The candied peel adds to the flavor of the cake and gives it a distinctive flavor. It also adds Calcium to the recipe. The raisins or currants also add minerals and Vitamin C.
The almond essence is a sugar substitute that helps with sugar cravings. The dried fruits give you extra fiber and antioxidants, which may help prevent cancer.
The almonds in this recipe will add to the amount of Vitamin E you are consuming, helping combat heart disease, lower blood pressure and boost your immune system. The raisins or currants will help prevent cancer while adding fiber and Vitamin C to your diet.
This recipe also contains Vitamin A from the candied peel, used for healthy skin, hair, and vision. Finally, it contains antioxidants such as flavonoids and phenols, which help reduce inflammation and boost your immune system.
Best 5 Freezing Ideas For Cathedral Christmas Cake Recipe
1. Freeze your Cathedral Christmas Cake Recipe as soon as you make it, and then freeze it on a cookie tray or a cake board. You can put it in the freezer right away and then transfer it to the refrigerator once it is frozen. You can also wrap the cake tightly in two layers of plastic wrap to keep it fresh.
2. Separate the layer from the middle layer into 3 different parts and store them separately in freezer bags. This way, you have something to substitute if you are in a hurry and do not have enough time to make the cake fresh.
3. Freeze your Cathedral Christmas Cake Recipe in small slices 1/2-inch size. This will allow you to use individual slices as needed and defrost them quickly when necessary.
4. Make sure to wrap your Cathedral Christmas Cake Recipe tightly with plastic wrap before storing it in the freezer, which will ensure that it remains fresh for a longer time.
5. To freeze Cathedral Christmas Cake Recipe, put it into a freezer storage bag and put it into the freezer right after making it. However, if you have a deep freeze, remove the air and seal your Cathedral Christmas Cake Recipe well to prevent freezer burn.
6. To reheat your Cathedral Christmas Cake Recipe, bake it until the center is cooked thoroughly. Then let it sit out for 10 minutes before slicing.
How To Make More Delicious?
If you want to make your Cathedral Christmas Cake Recipe more delicious, you need to use a 9-inch round cake pan, one 9-inch springform pan, and the same recipe above. The second 9-inch pan will be where you pour the mixture after being cooked.
After it has been frozen, remove the cake from the pan, put it on a cookie tray or cake board, and place it back into the freezer.
Is It Gluten-Free?
It does have gluten. However, we do not recommend you to eat it often as it is for special occasions only.
How To Store Cathedral Christmas Cake Recipe?
Store Cathedral Christmas Cake Recipe in a refrigerator for up to two weeks. To stop it from freezing, place the cake in a container surrounded by water and freeze it.
Is It Good For Diabetics Patients?
It is not recommended for Diabetics patients. It has 15g of sugar and 1.35g of salt. This delicious dish is completely diabetes-friendly, but it is high in sugar. We do not suggest you consume this wonderful dessert often.
Is It Good For Pregnant Women?
It is not recommended to eat this cake during the third trimester of pregnancy. This dish is made of nuts and products made of milk. This can be a reason for some allergies. If you want to eat it, inform your doctor first.
Is It Good For Heart Patients?
It is not recommended to eat this cake if you have heart problems. It is made of almonds, wheat, and sugar, making you to have issues with your heart. If you want to eat it, inform your doctor first.
Is It Good For Kids?
It is not recommended for kids. The cake contains nuts, which can be a reason for allergies. The cake also contains milk products and wheat, which can cause problems in the child’s health, like diarrhea.
Is It Suitable For Breastfeeding Women?
Yes, you can eat this cake while breastfeeding as long as you eat only a little bit of it every day. This delicious pastry is made of almonds and cookies, which can be a reason for some allergies. It is also made with milk products.
You should avoid eating this recipe while breastfeeding if you have any kind of allergies or sensitivities related to milk product food.
This Cathedral Christmas Cake Recipe is delicious and can be eaten during Christmas or when you want to celebrate with your family and friends. However, you need to follow all the instructions properly to not deal with health problems and make them dangerous for yourself.
I hope you enjoy making it and that you and your family enjoy this wonderful recipe as much as we do.