A sorrel cake recipe is a perfect thing to make for a get-together or party. Not only are they easy to make, but they last well in the fridge for up to 3 days. And what’s more, sorrel cake is excellent for you!
Sorrel has a unique taste that can be off-putting when raw. It’s pretty intense in flavor and needs cooking to bring out its sweetness.
However, it is low in calories and high in vitamin C and iron. This means that a sorrel cake recipe is perfect for anyone wanting to boost their intake of nutrients.
How to make sorrel cake recipe?
Preparation time:10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Serving: 4 grams
- 4 cups whole grain flour (wheat, buckwheat, millet, or any combination of these flours)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (add more for a more robust lemon flavor)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil or melted coconut oil if you prefer it with a milder taste.
- 1/2 cup sorrel leaves (soak in water for at least two hours if you have time)
- 1 tbsp. baking powder (add more for a more substantial rise)
- 1 tsp baking soda -to crust the cake. It can be omitted if your batter is thin enough. It’s optional, but I prefer its taste. (if used, the leavening power of the baking soda should not be more than 1/4 of all ingredients.) Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Coconut oil to grease a pan (if the mixture seems too dry for you, add more oil)
- Optional: 1 cup raisins, walnuts, and sliced almonds.
Method of Preparation
Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Grease an 8-inch cake pan using coconut oil. Mix all ingredients, except the optional toppings, in a bowl until well combined. Spoon the batter into the greased pan.
If you are using raisins, walnuts, and sliced almonds, make sure to spread them evenly on top of the batter. Bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. It’s ready when you insert a toothpick or skewer, and it comes out clean.
You might have to adjust the baking time depending on your oven. Cover it with aluminum foil halfway through baking time if the top of your cake is getting too browned.
If you are using coconut oil, let the cake cool for at least 5 minutes before removing it from the pan. Slice and serve warm with a dusting of powdered sugar or fruit jam.
Nutrition Fact Of Sorrel Cake Recipe
|Total fat||0.5 grams|
|Saturated fat||0.3 grams|
|Trans fat||0 grams|
|sugars and fibers||0 grams|
Sorrel Cake Recipe: 10 Best Health Benefit
1) Improves your immune system
Sorrel has been shown in scientific studies to have broad-spectrum properties for supporting natural defense mechanisms of the body.
2) Helps with insomnia
It can help you get a good night’s sleep.
3) Lowers the risk of cancer
Sorrel contains many anti-carcinogenic compounds that can lower cancer risk.
4) Safe, effective and inexpensive way to get rid of parasites
From stopping worms to flukes and even intestinal worms, sorrel is a safe alternative for ridding your body of parasites.
5) Helps maintain healthy kidneys
Sorrel is a natural diuretic that helps the body eliminate toxins and stimulates urine production.
6) Boosts your energy
It contains B vitamins, which help restore depleted energy levels. Sorrel may also have some antioxidant properties that can boost energy levels.
7) A natural pain killer
Taken internally or topically, sorrel has been shown in scientific studies to be a safe, effective and inexpensive way to alleviate painful conditions like arthritis and muscle tension.
8) A natural antiseptic
Taken internally or topically, it has antiseptic properties to be an effective remedy for ear infections, especially in children.
9) A natural contraceptive does not contain estrogen
like most traditional contraceptives, so it is safe for women of all ages. It may also have some contraceptive properties if taken orally.
10) Balances sugar
The sorrel’s proportion of calcium and magnesium helps balance sugar levels in the body.
The Bottom Line
Sorrel is in season in the winter, so go ahead and make this recipe to warm your soul with its taste. The recipe for the sorrel cake is simple enough for beginners to try their hands at it and complicated enough for experts to enjoy.
Not only does it taste great, but it’s healthy and has many health benefits! It’s a win-win scenario no matter how you look at it! Give our recipe a try — we’re sure you’ll love this delightful dish as much as we do.